July 5, 1880 Michigan Deaf Association has its beginning
as a reunion for Michigan School for the Deaf Alumni in Detroit.
June 1887 MDA adopts its constitution and by-laws
at the Second Alumni Reunion at the Michigan School for the Deaf,
E. Morris Bristol, the Deaf school's teacher, was elected the first president.
1898 The name of the Association, "Alumni Association"
is changed to Michigan Association of the Deaf (M.A.D.)
to include Deaf people living in Michigan, regardless of where they graduated.
1981 The name of the organization changes again
to Michigan Association of Deaf Citizens (M.A.D.C.)
1987 The MADC celebrates its 100th Anniversary in Livonia
to reflect the year when the organization's constitution and by-laws were adopted.
1995 The organization changes its name once again to Michigan Deaf Association (MDA)
to reflect its community's identity and cultural awareness.